Amish Friendship Bread & Starter Recipe – (WITH instant pudding)
Amish Friendship Bread + Starter Recipe (WITH instant pudding)
Write a review
- Amish Friendship Bread Starter
- Use plastic or wooden utensils and plastic or glass containers when making this. Do not use metal! There’s a chemical reaction that occurs between the fermenting starter and metal. If your metal utensils and bowls are stainless steel it will probably be fine…but if they are scratched up at all, it will spoil your starter.
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110ish degrees F)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup warm milk (110ish degrees F)
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water for about 10 minutes. Stir well.
- In a 2 quart glass or plastic container, combine 1 cup sifted flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or the flour will get lumpy when you add the milk.
- Slowly stir in warm milk and dissolved yeast mixture until combined.
- Pour into a one gallon sized plastic baggie (or a plastic container). The mixture will get bubbly. Consider this Day 1 of the cycle, or the day you receive the starter.
- For the next 10 days handle starter according to the instructions for Amish Friendship Bread below.
- amish friendship bread
- One of the reasons this is called “Friendship Bread” is obviously because it’s fun to share the bread and the starter with a friend. Typically, when you give the bread and a starter to that friend, you give it with instructions on what to do with the starter and the recipe for the bread. Here is how that info was given to me many moons ago!
- NOTE: Do not refrigerate starter. It is normal for the batter to rise and ferment. If the bag starts to puff up, let some of the air out.
- Day 1: Do nothing.
- Day 2: Mash the bag.
- Day 3: Mash the bag.
- Day 4: Mash the bag.
- Day 5: Mash the bag.
- Day 6: Add to the bag: 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk. Mash the bag.
- Day 7: Mash the bag.
- Day 8: Mash the bag.
- Day 9: Mash the bag.
Day 10: Follow the directions below
- Pour the entire bag into a nonmetal bowl.
- Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk.
- Measure out 1 cup of batter into 4 separate 1-gallon Ziploc bags.
- Keep one of the bags for yourself, and give the other bags to 3 friends along with the recipe.
- AMISH FRIENDSHIP BREAD
- 1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1 large or 2 small boxes vanilla instant pudding
- Preheat oven to 325° F
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with a mixture of 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans and sprinkle the remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture on the top.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens easily from the sides and a toothpick or knife blade inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
(Visited 13 times, 1 visits today)